A logotype is the name of a brand or a company designed in a visually unique way for use by that company. The logos of Google, Coca-Cola, Facebook, Disney, Cadbury, Nokia and Philips are examples of famous logotypes. The wordmarks are created using a custom or an existing typeface.
If you’re looking to create a custom logotype, check out this handy tutorial by Skillshare that features Mackey Saturday, the designer behind Instagram’s script logo. He takes you through his essential process and shares some useful tips to keep in mind.
1. Generate ideas by repeatedly sketching the brand name
2. Shortlist and refine your sketch on tracing paper
3. Take a photo of your sketch, and bring it into Illustrator
4. Trace your sketch with the pen tool in Illustrator, using minimal anchor points
5. Compare letterforms for consistency
6. Flip vertically to fine-tune spacing
7. Present your final logotype
Share this post with a designer friend and voice your views in the comments below. Video © Skillshare.