“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see,” said legendary French artist and sculptor Edgar Degas (1834 – 1917). To create a successful illusion, an artist has to take into account the cues that people use to make sense of the world and manipulate the brain’s tendencies to make assumptions about its surroundings.
On that note, today’s post is a collection of mind-boggling sculptures from all over the world that appear to defy the laws of physics. Created by master craftsmen, these sculptures are a testament to the creative power of the human mind and an artist’s ability to suspend our belief in the norm. Check them out below.
1. Human Figure by Emil Alzamora
2. Planet by Marc Quinn
3. Lucky Country by Norton Flavel
4. Floating Stone by Smaban Abbas
5. Balancing Sculpture by Jerzy Kędziora
6. Cantamar by Woods Davy
7. Michael Jones Sculpture by Natalie Stamilla
8. Boy on a Dolphin by Sir David Wynne
9. The Arrows (Porsche) by Gerry Judah
10. Gymnast by Jerzy Kedziora
11. Rock Balancing by Michael Grab
12. Vauxhall Corsa by Alex Chinneck
13. Diminish and Ascend by David McCracken
14. Nasutamanus by Daniel Firman
15. Giant Tap
16. Appearance/Emptiness by Sukhi Barber
18. Jaguar – The E Type by Gerry Judah
19. The Ultimate Move by Leandro Erlich
20. “Take My Lightning But Don’t Steal My Thunder” by Alex Chinneck.
21. Gran Elefandret by Miquel Barceló
22. Big Rig Jig by Mike Ross
23. Tour Consolle Cattelan Italia by Giorgio Cattelan
24. Force of Nature by Lorenzo Quinn
25. Les Voyageurs by Bruno Catalano
Our favourites: no. 1, 5 and 16. What about you? Share this post with an art lover and voice your views in the comments below.